Thursday, October 21, 2010
Michael Carney
It all started early Saturday morning, very sluggish like and slowly climbing out my bed i thought to myself was this trip truly worth it. I was very excited when I arrived to the bus and realized I was actually going to New York. My mind wondered what the African Burial Ground truly is and so many more interesting facts incorporated. However, the thought of a boring museum was still in the back of my head. Arriving I looked up to this tall government building with astonishment. We walked down the sidewalk an outside burial ground of 4 slaves in particular. I looked on imagining the life theses innocent people lived and the symbolic meaning. Next Dr. Carr dropped water on the burial ground and explained he significant meaning of this particular ceremony. Next there was this symbol engraved in this marble structure. One end was a door shaped opening and you walked through this narrow end on the other side. This was explained as “The Door of No Return”. After we looked at many symbols and the different meanings of each. The tour was moved inside to this amazing replica of the African burial ground and pictures of the site when they dug out the slaves. The journey was amazing and I will always remember this trip, I thank College of Arts and Sciences for bringing us and allowing us to experience this life changing site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment